・ブログ → 超重要！
In-game economies in TF2 and Dota 2 （2014/1/16)
- Many current micro transaction systems create unhappy customers. This trains them to not spend money (bad).
- Valve wants users to make value for each other, and rewards players that make the most
- It's not a problem if players pay to win, but it is a problem if this makes it less fun for others
- Valve recommends all items in a game to be tradable
- Valve has a "Regret test", if a user regrets using a feature/system it failed
- (Image via @galyonkin) Valve's recommendations on how to do economy in your game
- 13% of TF2 players have bought at least one key, 75% of the players have at least one thing from a crate
- Trading in a game is a way to monetize free players, they don't pay but they still generate value
- Over 90% of TF2 content is from the community
- In the first week of 2014, $400K was paid out to content creators
- 484,768 compendiums were sold during The International, which added an additional $1.2M to the prize pool
- (Image via @Arminposts) TF2 stats: 17M accounts own items, 500M total items, 4B actions performed on items
- (Image via @Rotondo) TF2 stats: 1,067,399 accounts have sent gifts, 1,841,051 accounts received gifts
- Valve: "Making players happy == we make more money"
- Valve rejects the premise that micro transactions come at the cost of user happiness
Embracing User-Generated Content (UGC)
- UGC improves gaming experience, gives players a way to express themselves and opens up new opportunities for your game
- UGC is what differentiates games from books and movies
- A good example of UGC is DayZ, from which Arma gained a lot of sales
- TF2 is the first game to use the workshop in 2011
- You upload TF2 content, users rate it and top rated content gets reviewed by the TF2 team
- (Image via @Arminposts) Skyrim Workshop stats: 19.5K pieces of UGC, 1.9M votes cast, 2.4M unique users, 81.8M downloads
- CSGO Workshop stats: 4.7K community created maps, 20K weapon skins
- Portal 2 Workshop stats: Over 381K maps created (mostly because of the easy to use map editor)
- GMOD Workshops stats: Total of 250k UGC items
- "User generated content is a vision of the game not restricted by the developer's resources."
- "People are going to mod a successful game anyway, so it's best to help them out and improve it for everyone."
- Dota 2 workshop launch did not decrease activity on the TF2 workshop, it actually increased the size of the modding community.
Steam Machines in 2014
- Alienware's Steam Machine will be launching in September. Intel Haswell and NVIDIA hardware
- As of today, there are about 75 million active users on Steam
- "They said there will certainly be experiences on Steam Machines that won't be available anywhere else." (Source)
- Steam Controllers will be sold through Steam and retail
- Valve wants to focus not only on gaming, but all things people want to do on a Steam Machine in the living room (Music, TV etc)
- Every Steam Dev Days attendee gets a free Gigabyte Steam Machine (and a Steam Controller is in the goodie bag)